Financing Wind Europe 2019
Financing Wind is wind energy’s premier conference. We bring together the top clean energy financiers and investors and give them the network that they need in order to build better, more profitable, more sustainable, renewable energy projects.
About this event
You'll learn from the industry's definitive voices
Some of our most significant past speakers include Ray Wood, Bank of America Merrill Lynch; Rob Threlkeld, General Motors; Declan Flanagan, Lincoln Clean Energy; and Jatin Sharma, GCube.
You'll make important contacts
Half of our members are director-level or above. We invite a diverse range of companies, and keep ticket numbers capped. That way, you know that networking will stay focused and helpful to your business.
You'll get answers to the industry's most challenging questions
Our editorial team are experts in the wind and finance sectors – so we know exactly how to ask the most relevant questions. And because we only book truly authoritative speakers, you can be sure you’ll get valuable answers.
Registration And Executive Breakfast
08:00 – 09:00
09:00 – 09:15
- Adam Barber, Group Managing Director, The Tamarindo Group
09:15 – 09:25
- Gill Howard Larsen, Global Director of Due Diligence, UL
09:25 – 09:45
- Markus Tacke, CEO, Siemens Gamesa
Uncharted Waters: Key Investment Trends In European Wind
09:45 – 10:30
It has been more than a decade since the start of the last global financial crisis. Since then, wind has emerged as a mainstream asset class, but how healthy is Europe’s wind market and how well-placed is it to cope with uncertainties in the global economy, including Brexit?
- What types of investors are most active in European wind?
- What can Germany teach us about competitive auctions?
- What are the biggest threats to liquidity in the wind market?
- Do investors need to re-focus their attention on new markets?
- What financial innovations should we look out for in the market?
- Olivia Breese, Head of Market Development, Ørsted [Moderator]
- Kirstine Damkjær, CEO, EKF
- Philippe Kavafyan, CEO, MHI Vestas
- Edward Northam, Head of Europe, Green Investment Group
- Richard Nourse, Managing Partner, Greencoat Capital
Networking Coffee Break
10:30 – 11:00
One-To-One: Corporate M&A Deals In Europe
11:00 – 11:30
Institutional investors and utilities continue to see corporate M&A deals as a way to expand in a challenging market. In this session we talk to LM’s CEO Duncan Berry for his view on the impact of corporate M&A deals in the wind market; the role of consolidation in the future of manufacturers in Europe; and the latest technology innovations.
- Duncan Berry, CEO, LM Wind Power
- Richard Heap, Editor-in-chief, A Word About Wind [Moderator]
Global Offshore: Sailing Safely In Choppy Waters
11:30 – 12:15
The emergence of new offshore wind markets in Asia, Europe and North America shows that the industry is global – but also that there are still hurdles as they seek to compete for investors’ attention. How much focus should investors put on established and emerging markets? And what are the key trends that will drive investment in each?
- How will 10MW-plus turbines affect project economics?
- What impact is Brexit likely to have on the UK market?
- Are costs falling too fast for the supply chain?
- How can European investors profit in new markets?
- When is floating wind likely to reach commercial maturity?
- Michael Hannibal, Partner, Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
- Manahil Lakhmiri, Head of Key Program Offshore Wind, Engie
- Danielle Lane, Head of Portfolio & Transaction and Country Manager UK, Vattenfall
- Martin Neubert, CEO, Ørsted Offshore
- Michael van der Heijden, Partner, Amscap [Moderator]
12:15 – 13:30
One-To-One: The Growth Of Floating Wind
13:30 – 14:00
Over the last 12 months we’ve seen plenty of progress in the floating wind sector, including activity on new projects in Europe and new developments in emerging markets in Asia and the US. In this session, we will look at the latest changes and developments in the floating wind market as it races to commercial maturity.
- Vincent Fromont, CEO, EOLFI
- Evan Stergoulis, Partner, Watson Farley & Williams
Better Together: The Future For Hybrid Projects
14:00 – 14:45
Large wind turbine makers have been expanding into storage and solar, which is making hybrid projects far more common. In this session, we will discuss the future for hybrid projects; the most practical storage tech for wind farms; the role of hydrogen; and the impact on returns.
- When will hybrid projects including wind go mainstream?
- Which are the most attractive long- and short-duration storage solutions?
- How will these trends impact the financial side of wind projects?
- How do companies need to adapt their strategies for these shifts?
- How will the role of wind in the electricity grid change by 2030?
- Felix Fischer, Partner, Chatham Partners,
- Philipp Kunze, Head of Global Hybrids Team, BayWa r.e.
- Markus Lesser, CEO, Pure New Energy
- Adam Terry, Director of Due Diligence for Europe, UL [Moderator]
- Amelie Wulff, Global Sales Leader Hybrid Solutions, GE Renewable Energy
Networking Coffee Break
14:45 – 15:15
Europe’s PPA Revolution: From The Nordics To Where
15:15 – 16:00
The growth of competitive tenders and the reduction in feed-in tariffs has left more project developers turning to corporate power deals as a way to take projects to financial close. In this session, we look at the growth and obstacles power purchase agreements in Europe.
- Will the Nordics continue to be Europe’s PPA powerhouse?
- Who’s signing corporate PPAs and where? What does this tell us?
- What innovations can we expect in the structuring of PPAs?
- Is standardisation needed to help PPAs grow across Europe?
- Do wind companies need to change their approach to counterparty risk?
- Richard Boydell, Senior Manager - PPA Advisory, Pexapark
- Caroline Brun Ellefsen, Global Head, Instatrust, New Energy Ventures, DNV GL
- Natasha Luther-Jones, Partner, Global Co-Chair – Energy & Natural Resources Sector, DLA Piper [Moderator]
- Mortimer Menzel, Partner, Augusta & Co
- Alexandra von Bernstorff, Managing Partner, Luxcara
16:00 – 16:15
16:15 – 17:30
European Wind Investment Awards (Ticketed Event)
18:30 – 01:00
To continue the discussion, check out details for our inaugural European Wind Investment Awards, including ticket prices and nominations, at www.windawards.com.